Sunday, October 27, 2013

What does "Sweet Freedom" Taste Like?

      These popular Ozark Lollipops are frequently used for fundraising, especially at New Trier. I found an interesting flavor in a friends stock of lollipops: an American themed flavor. Its red white and blue exterior plays off of the colors of American flag. The name of the flavor is "Sweet Freedom". My initial thought was how stupid the name was; what does "Sweet Freedom" taste like? I then realized there might be another motivation behind this lollipop flavor.
      I believe that this American theme is used by companies to exploit the patriotism of Americans. Americans seem to be known for their national pride, and by using this strong, common feeling of nationalism, companies can better advertise and sell their product.
     This concept is similar to the printing of the American flag on clothing or nearly any other item. The American flag is a major source of pride in America, therefore, this may draw in some additional consumers due to their patriotism. The name of the flavor references an underlying American theme of freedom. This lollipop seems to remind us of how "sweet" life is in America, and makes consumers feel happy about their country. By including these American themes in their product, consumers may feel pressured to buy the lollipop to prove, either to themselves or others, that they are patriotic and want to support their country. I know I gave the lollipop a second thought because America is my home country, and I felt somewhat obliged to represent my country in buying the lollipop.
     Would you buy this lollipop? What is your opinion about this marketing strategy?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Isabelle. I think companies use things like the American flag or the colors red, white, and blue to attract customers. The customers have no idea what "Sweet Freedom" is going to taste like, but they still buy it because they think it'll make them more patriotic if they buy it. But, I think there might also be an element of pressure Americans feel to buy patriotic products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Isabelle and Jacqui that the companies want you to buy their products, and they can do so by making you feel patriotic as you hand them over the cash. We have discussed in our American Studies class, that after certain presidents always wore an American flag pin, the rest had to follow suit. If they didn't, they weren't patriotic. I think this is the same with certain companies. As much as they want to make their costumers feel patriotic, they want their non-costumers to feel that they aren't patriotic until they buy the product. If this revels any American theme, I think it is American Capitalism more then patriotism. These countries just want the money.

    ReplyDelete